Clean that DESK!
Seriously, can you see the color of your desk? Do you have stacks of random paper on the floor because your desk is so crowded? It’s time to spring clean!
1. Remember these piles – for REVIEW, FILE, TRASH.
2. Everything goes into one of those categories. Be brutal – if you have not filed it in 2 years and it’s not important anymore it goes in TRASH.
3. For REVIEW pile – OK you really don’t need this pile, do you? It’s for people who can’t let go. So, take a closer look, like a 10-second look, and then FILE it or TRASH it. No mercy.
4. Once you get the FILE pile done – FILE it. Don’t leave it in a pile.
5. TRASH pile – throw it out.
6. Set up folders for all important categories so you can sort your mail, paper, etc. daily.
7. Outlook will automatically sort your mail – turn it on. Outlook can automatically put all the notices from groups you don’t need min. by min. updates from in a folder to review later. Even in this day and age of instant communication, do you really need to see everything right now?? Most things can wait.